4 Local Dads Share Their Top Father’s Day Memories

Dad goals, check. Terrence Holt, Burton Banks Buffaloe, Penn Holderness and Danny Rosin tell us their favorite Raleigh Father’s Day memories.
by Melissa Howsam

Photograph by Amber Robinson

Terrence Holt, President of Holt Brothers Inc.

Glimpse of his home life

My wife, Nikki, and I would like to think we have a fun-filled, lively and Christ-centered home. We are so fortunate to have a 9-year-old daughter, Emerie, and a son, Terrence Jr. (aka TJ), who is  6. We have been in Raleigh since the late ’90s, when we both moved here to attend NC State University. Go Pack!

Best Father’s Day memory

Father’s Day is usually a laid-back kind of day for my family—just the way I like it! We stay local, usually grill, swim and spend time as a family at my brother Torry’s home—which also happens to be right down the road. 

Raleigh is a special place to our family; my brother and I met our wives all while attending NC State, and we started our business and foundation here. Raleigh is one of the most caring, compassionate and philanthropic communities; and we’re so blessed to call it home.

Why it’s so special

This family photo represents a favorite Father’s Day memory from 2017, when we asked my father to join in on our annual family portraits. Having three generations of our family all in one photo is a moment we cherish.  We did this shoot with one of Raleigh’s own, Amber Robinson, from Images by Amber.

P.S.

Please visit holtbrothersfoundation.com to learn more about our mission to support kids whose parent or guardian is battling cancer.  We lost our mom, Ojetta V. Holt- Shoffner, to cancer in 1996 and have vowed to honor her memory by helping families who have been affected by this terrible disease. Thank you!

Penn Holderness, Chief Creative Officer of Holderness Family Productions

Glimpse of his home life

We have two kids, Lola (13) and Penn Charles (10). We’ve lived in Raleigh since 2007, but I was born and raised in Durham. Kim and I moved here with 6-month-old Lola when I took a job as an anchor for WNCN-TV. 

After working there for six years, we decided to do something crazy: I quit my job and started making my own videos. They were meant to be promotional videos for companies, but we did a music parody (“Christmas Jammies”) to promote my job change, which kind of went nuts on YouTube. We discovered that, along with making corporate videos, we could also make a living as family video creators on YouTube and Facebook. We’ve been doing that ever since.

Best Father’s Day memory

[Laughs] On most Father’s Days, I don’t connect with the city—or with anyone. I sit on my butt on the couch and watch the U.S. Open from start to finish with beer and sushi. But I do feel very connected to the couch. 

So, just my favorite memory is probably when we all went surfing as a family in Maui. Our kids were the bravest I’ve ever seen them. The weather was beautiful and the scenery was amazing and I feel like I could see my kids growing up in front of me while they were doing it (see GoPro pic).

Why it’s so special

The best part of my life has been being a father.  They let you be a kid again, and their sense of humor and creativity is mind-blowing, and their hugs are like crack (I’ve never tried crack, but I’m just guessing). I can’t imagine myself not being a Dad.

Burton Banks Buffaloe, Leader of CIO Global Logistics & Blockchain at IBM

Glimpse of his home life

I’m a proud father to two beautiful twins, Holland and Stone, who are turning 4 in July. My husband, Dustin, and I openly share our journey through social media to help open eyes to people who may have never known what a household of two dads looks like. I grew up on my family farm in Garner on Buffaloe Road, and though I’ve bounced around the country on assignment, Raleigh has always been my home.  

Best Father’s Day memory

Growing up, one of my favorite childhood memories was going to Pullen Park with my dad on Father’s Day. We would spend the day exploring, and the highlight was paddleboating on the pond. Now that I’m a dad myself, it brings me such pleasure to take my kids there. Seeing how their eyes light up makes me understand the joy that must have brought my dad when I was their age. 

Why it’s so special

It’s special because we live near Cameron Village, just a short walk to Pullen Park. It’s a place I take my children all the time, and it never gets old. It’s also just a unique gem our city offers (with fun activities like a train ride, carousel and plenty of open space to play)

P.S.

Fathers Day is doubly special to me because it’s a celebration I get to share with my husband. We are so proud to be the parents to our kids, and our title as fathers highlights our most significant honor. 

Danny Rosin, co-owner of Brand Fuel and co-founder of Band Together

Glimpse of his home life

I’ve been married for 17 amazing roller-coaster years to Niccole, and we are trying our best to parent two teenage daughters. Tyler is 13. Brooke is eye-balling a driver’s license in a few months. And I have come to grips with the idea that well-behaved women rarely make history. I love building creative, purpose-driven organizations like Brand Fuel and Band Together. 

Best Father’s Day memory

We have intentionally kept Father’s Day simple. And I only ask for one gift—for everyone to get along. We do that best when we are outside exploring and experiencing this gift of a city. 

My heart is full when I think about when the girls were young enough to beg to ride on the train and carousel at Pullen Park. And to picnic with great food from Village Deli or Neomonde. And to accidentally wear some of the meal and drive Niccole bonkers for being the messes we are. I love that our shared green spaces are embedded within the city for everyone to enjoy. They are beautiful, safe places filled with diversity that I hope our daughters get to enjoy with their children someday.

Fave factor—why it’s so special

On both Mom’s and Dad’s Days, we always allow for dad or mom to do something apart from the rest, like sleep in. My favorite dad-only time was going to NCMA in 2017 to see, arguably the best songwriter, Jason Isbell, on Father’s Day. 

Amanda Shires, Isbell’s wife, was the opening band. Coming back from a bathroom break, I witnessed Isbell sidestage, holding their 2-year-old daughter, Mercy Rose, as they watched Shires captivate and delight a NCMA audience. If you know their story, they have been through a lot. It was inspiring as I thought about how grateful I am to have Niccole, Brooke and Tyler in my life. On our stage. In Raleigh. 

P.S.

What I want for Brooke and Tyler in Raleigh: To have grit and grace. To be tough and tender. To be excited and scared. To have wild hearts.