Category: Community

Poems Typed Fresh

“You don’t have to have a tweed jacket to appreciate this.” – Matt Roth, clinical contracts manager and author of Poems Typed Fresh by Jessie Ammons photograph by Travis Long Matt Roth, who works in the field of clinical research,…

Making a list, checking it twice

by CC Parker illustrations by Emily Brooks Last fall, my husband and I decided it was time for our children to see Theatre In The Park’s A Christmas Carol. A friend suggested seeing a matinee at the Durham Performing Arts…

Room to think

A Renovated Boylan Heights Home Nurtures Young Entrepreneurs by Jessie Ammons photographs by Justin Cook It can pay off to live at work. Especially when work is easy to live in and work in, with corkboard walls, a kitchen with chalkboard columns…

Ira David Wood III: 40 years as Scrooge

by Andrew Kenney photographs by Nick Pironio Ira David Wood III is just “David” in real life. But you might also know him by another name: Scrooge. Wood has been stomping and huffing and finding redemption for 40 Novembers and…

Debbie Yow: The adventure for me is here

by Andrew Kenney photographs by Missy McLamb Debbie Yow appears from her athletics director office at a bustling clip. She offers a hearty hello to her senior staffer and a visitor. This is the heart of Wolfpack territory, covered with…

Spotlight: Local treasures

Charlotte’s celebrates 25th anniversary by Jessie Ammons photograph by Missy McLamb Decades ago, Charlotte Harris was home in Texas for the holidays and in search of a good gift. Her friend told her she must go to Carol’s. “I thought,…

When Natalie Wood came to town

Brainstorm, one of many major movies shot in North Carolina, was Natalie Wood’s last. Scenes of the science fiction film were shot in Raleigh and around the Triangle, in places like Oakwood, Hayes Barton, Research Triangle Park, Chapel Hill, the…

French social club

by Jessie Ammons photograph by Travis Long “We don’t have any family here. In a way, this is our family.” –Sandrine Pauwels, co-host of the French social club When Sandrine and Jean Pauwels moved from Paris to Raleigh 16 years ago, they were…

Pop-art icon Peter Max

by Liza Roberts For five decades, Peter Max has been painting America. In the ’60s, his cosmic Pop Art canvases were vivid totems of the age. In the ’70s, his portraits of the Statue of Liberty became indelible images and…

Pitch Perfect

creative direction and words by Jesma Reynolds photographs by Tim Lytvinenko Improbable, but not impossible. That was the prediction when the Raleigh Gaelic Athletic Assocation’s Cú Chullain team considered its chances of winning before travelling to Boston over Labor Day…

Fight Club

by Charles Upchurch photographs by Geoff Wood  In a warehouse across from Meredith College, Wes Caudill is running a fight club. Boxing and fencing, two of the oldest sports on earth, are finding new blood at his NBS Gym. The…

Advertisement