Category: Community

Spotlight: Schoolkids Records puts a positive spin on change

by Tracy Davis photographs by Travis Long It’s business as usual over at Schoolkids Records this spring, and for owner Stephen Judge, that’s a welcome change of pace. Last year, after almost four decades of business on Hillsborough Street, Schoolkids celebrated both…

The making of a state champ: Emilia Migliaccio is up to the task

by Andrew Kenney photographs by Nick Pironio It’s silent on the fourth hole of MacGregor Downs in Cary. No wind, no birds, no golfers in sight – except Emilia Migliaccio. The 14-year-old slips a pink fuzzy cover off the head…

Finding purpose: Photographer Christer Berg

by Sarah Barr Photographer Christer Berg slid three photographs on to a conference table at Carolina Ballet’s studio on Atlantic Avenue and waited to see if he had passed his own test. Robert Weiss, the ballet’s founding artistic director, studied…

When mom is boss

by Ann Brooke Raynal photographs by Eve Kakassy Hobgood Mothers. They read and sing to us, listen and advise, salve blisters and broken hearts. And so often mothers are the models for the ways in which we live and work. To celebrate…

Kupono Low: Mr. Railhawk

by Bill Krueger It is a familiar ritual after each Carolina RailHawks game at WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary. Win or lose, fans scurry down to the first couple of rows of the stands to get autographs from the players,…

Lean local startups aren’t worrying about the money

by Zach Clayton Eight years ago, a little-known Silicon Valley entrepreneur named Steve Blank wrote an obscure book called The Four Steps to the Epiphany. Blank, a veteran of eight startups, outlined a ground-breaking argument: Writing business plans and raising…

Coach George Williams: Run to believe

by Andrew Kenney photographs by Geoff Wood Coach wears black athletic gear today. There’s a blue sky above his brick-red running track, a shadow on his face from his ball cap, and a ring with seven diamonds on his finger. He…

Sally Edwards

photograph by Travis Long “When I’m on a trail, I unplug completely. It sets my mind free. My imagination goes wild. And that’s what I try to create at Marbles, too: A place for kids’ imaginations to run wild.” –Sally Edwards,…

Off duty: Wade Smith

photograph by Tim Lytvinenko “I couldn’t really live without music. You just make time for it.” – Wade Smith, criminal defense lawyer Wade Smith knew he loved music when he co-founded Raleigh’s oldest string band 50-odd years ago, but he never…

St. Paddy’s Run Green 8K

photograph by Travis Long “On March 7 there’s a kilt run in downtown Raleigh. I’ll be buying a Lonerider kilt and running in it. The largest training plan is to secure the kilt; I probably won’t run for very long. It’s…

Raleigh’s amazing greenway

by Scott Huler photographs by Travis Long Stand still. What do you hear? Maybe a dog barking. Birds. The rustle of the wind in the trees. The slip of water streaming by – maybe, if it’s been rainy, you hear it rippling…

Slowing down to speed up

by Zach Clayton By 2 p.m., I was ready to quit. Already 10 hours into a daylong silent meditation, my mind was anything but still. As my thoughts raced from topic to topic, my body ached. I’d been sitting cross-legged…

Need for speed at the Wake County Speedway

by Tina Haver Currin photographs by Jill Knight Just fifteen minutes from downtown Raleigh lies a thunderous land of revving race cars, bologna sandwiches, and if you’re (un)lucky, maybe a few flips, fires, and crashes, too. A breezy April evening promises favorable…

Story of a marriage: How to build a house

In the lush garden they planted together after their children grew up sits a small table where, weather permitting, Steve and Betsy Levitas end nearly every day. Drinks in hand, they talk, laugh and love, watching the sun set behind…

Advertisement