Category: Community

A day in the life of the Carolina Hurricanes

photographs by Geoff Wood Raleigh’s Carolina Hurricanes have undeniably had a challenging few years. The team hasn’t made it to the Stanley Cup playoffs since 2009. Its current record of 16-25 puts it in last place in the NHL’s Metropolitan…

Urban sketchers

by Jessie Ammons photograph by Travis Long “The world is so high-paced, everybody on their phone and looking down. Just sitting there and staring at something and drawing it slows your presence. You slow down and you really observe things.” – Scott…

Triple threat: B Corps thrive in Raleigh

by Alex Granados photographs by Travis Long In bustling downtown Raleigh, a different kind of business person is rising. He or she is an entrepreneur, and while profit is his or her driving force, social good is too. These folks combine…

The cuisine of Scott Crawford: Soon to be an everyday indulgence

by Liza Roberts photographs by Lissa Gotwals The seven-minute drive from chef Scott Crawford’s house near Yates Mill Pond to the state farmers market takes him past acres of rolling pastureland and rows of corn. It’s a daily journey for…

A judge for all seasons: Allyson Duncan

by Liza Roberts photographs by Jimmy Williams One day after a new hybrid orchid named for Allyson Duncan was accepted by the Royal Horticultural Society, she wore a suit of the same color to welcome visitors into her spacious corner office….

From golf to great: Raleigh’s Peter Millar goes global

by Liza Roberts photographs by Missy McLamb When Lindsay Browder leaves her historic home in Oakwood for work this fall morning, it’s warm enough for shorts. That’s fine at her office, where her yellow Lab, Palmer, is welcome, too. He…

FotoSwipe

by Jessie Ammons photograph by Travis Long “We never end up talking about the game itself or its technicalities, if we did an awesome backhand or something. Every time we switch sides or do a water break, we’re talking about FotoSwipe.” –…

The new philanthropists

photographs by Tierney Farrell   A silver pendant in the shape of North Carolina shines above Nicole Stewart’s hear as she sips coffee at Joule. The busy downtown coffee shop, filled with young professionals, is a fitting location for the…

Mix master: Jamie Meares

by Jesma Reynolds photographs by Lissa Gotwals Jamie Meares, owner of the stylish downtown shop Furbish Studio and author of the blog I Suwannee, is a design-world favorite. Just about every notable lifestyle blog has highlighted her at some point, and…

Raleigh Triathlon Training Group

photograph by Travis Long “If it wasn’t for these guys …. I would have just sat on the couch and watched cartoons and drank coffee.” – Shannon Neiley, runner and member of the Raleigh Triathlon Training Group At 6 a.m. every…

Adventure bound

Raleighites are spoiled for vacation options. It’s something we’re prone to brag about: the gorgeous mountains and ocean beaches both within an easy drive. But for some, nothing beats an honest-to-goodness adventure. Far-off places lure with perfect waves to surf;…

Chasing perfection stroke by stroke

by Andrew Kenney photographs by Geoff Wood The wooded shoreline of Lake Wheeler is still dark this early, but the water is sunlit, and young rowers already are hauling their long pencil-boats down to the water. Like everything in the…

Hilda Pinnix-Ragland

by Jessie Ammons photograph by Travis Long “It always gives me lots of enthusiasm to see the graduations, but then also to see where the kids go off to. It’s invigorating to me.” – Hilda Pinnix-Ragland, Vice President of Corporate Public Affairs…

Raleigh’s rodeo

photographs and text by Nick Pironio I’m always amazed by the number of hidden gems you can find in Raleigh. One of my personal favorites is Carousel Farms. For years, I let anyone who would listen know that every Tuesday…

Advertisement