Category: Community

Mix master: Jamie Meares

by Jesma Reynolds photographs by Lissa Gotwals Jamie Meares, owner of the stylish downtown shop Furbish Studio and author of the blog I Suwannee, is a design-world favorite. Just about every notable lifestyle blog has highlighted her at some point, and…

Raleigh Triathlon Training Group

photograph by Travis Long “If it wasn’t for these guys …. I would have just sat on the couch and watched cartoons and drank coffee.” – Shannon Neiley, runner and member of the Raleigh Triathlon Training Group At 6 a.m. every…

Adventure bound

Raleighites are spoiled for vacation options. It’s something we’re prone to brag about: the gorgeous mountains and ocean beaches both within an easy drive. But for some, nothing beats an honest-to-goodness adventure. Far-off places lure with perfect waves to surf;…

Chasing perfection stroke by stroke

by Andrew Kenney photographs by Geoff Wood The wooded shoreline of Lake Wheeler is still dark this early, but the water is sunlit, and young rowers already are hauling their long pencil-boats down to the water. Like everything in the…

Hilda Pinnix-Ragland

by Jessie Ammons photograph by Travis Long “It always gives me lots of enthusiasm to see the graduations, but then also to see where the kids go off to. It’s invigorating to me.” – Hilda Pinnix-Ragland, Vice President of Corporate Public Affairs…

Raleigh’s rodeo

photographs and text by Nick Pironio I’m always amazed by the number of hidden gems you can find in Raleigh. One of my personal favorites is Carousel Farms. For years, I let anyone who would listen know that every Tuesday…

Spotlight: Nanette loves Raleigh

Top women’s ready-to-wear fashion designer Nanette Lepore has never been to Raleigh, but says she feels like she already knows our capital city. Many of her interns over the years have come from N.C. State’s design school, and she knows…

Richard Jenrette: Always traveling…home

by P. Gaye Tapp Richard Hampton Jenrette’s success can be measured in many ways, but perhaps no more personally than in square feet. A Raleigh native and co-founder of maverick Wall Street investment bank Donaldson, Lufkin & Jenrette, he has…

Forms that function

by J. Michael Welton photographs by Lissa Gotwals One’s a mere 650 square feet for both living and working, while another takes up three floors of a downtown high-rise. One’s the local extension of a major national architecture practice, while others…

Spotlight: Humans of My World

by Jessie Ammons photograph by Nick Pironio On a recent trip to Sri Lanka, Raleigh native William Moore wandered just a few streets over from the strip of five-star hotels where he was staying. “It was like entering this impoverished secret garden,”…

The local who knows: Jim Dodson’s Pinehurst picks

by Liza Roberts When the U.S. Open and U.S. Women’s Open come to Pinehurst June 12-15 and June 19-22, as many as 400,000 fans are expected to converge on the quaint village known as “the cradle of American golf.” They’ll…

Coffee community

by Tina Haver Currin photographs by Travis Long A city growing as fast as ours is fueled by ideas, enthusiasm, and investment. A little caffeine doesn’t hurt, either. And now we’ve got it with a lot of local flavor, thanks to a…

David Burris: Telling stories

by Samantha Thompson Hatem photography by Nick Pironio Everyone should have Raleigh native David Burris’ knack for remaking his career every decade or so and landing a new dream job. This time, Burris, a former executive producer of TV reality show…

Advertisement