Here are more than 50 things to do in Raleigh this weekend with friends and family.
Written by Catherine Currin
From old friends to extended family, everyone’s looking for something to do when the holiday celebrations are over. If you’re looking for things to do in Raleigh with visitors in tow, consider who you have—energetic kids with short attention spans? Old high school friends who want to see all the new stuff? Mostly grownups who deserve a “best of” tour through your favorite restaurants or museums?—and tailor accordingly. This list of more than 50 things to do with out-of-town guests in Raleigh includes culture, food and drink, exercise and a few Oak City-only excursions. Enjoy!
Little ones have a short attention span, so keep them moving with child-appropriate adventures.
- Walk around downtown to spend a morning bopping between Marbles, the N.C. Museum of Natural Sciences and the N.C. Museum of History
- Head to Moore Square for a snack and a chance to run around
- See a movie at the Alamo Drafthouse
- Head to kid-friendly restaurants like The Player’s Retreat, Kanki, Raleigh Times or Oakwood Pizza Box
- Enjoy a sunny afternoon outside at Pullen Park, the RDU viewing deck, the NCMA Museum Park or the Wetland Center
- Grab a craft kit or take a class at the Devilish Egg in City Market
- If you’re up for an excursion, visit the Museum of Life and Science in Durham
For Former Locals
When your friends are back from high school or college, show them all the cool new places that have popped up since they left town.
- Walk around Moore Square on your way to hang at Transfer Co. Food Hall
- Grab a beer at Johnson Street Yacht Club (formerly Office Tavern) or the renovated Trophy on Morgan Street
- Visit Union Special Bread or Mordecai Beverage Co. at the new and improved Gateway Plaza
- Take a walking tour in the Warehouse District—peek into the Dillon and Union Station, shop at The Flourish Market, Father and Son and Raleigh Denim, followed by a cocktail at Junction West and pizza at Poole’side Pies
- Hope on a scooter to spend some time at Person Street Plaza—wine tasting at Wine Authorities, a cone at Two Roosters plus shopping at Edge of Urge. Swing by Jolie for some French fare afterwards
- Take them to the new Wegman’s or Weaver Street Market
For Adult Visitors
For grown-up guests, offer a mix of food, culture and fitness to get a wholistic view of Raleigh
- Take a visit to ¡Viva Viclas! at CAM Raleigh, or do a double header at NCMA with Frida Kahlo and Scott Avett
- Catch a flick at the Rialto Theatre
- Visit N.C. State’s campus, including Reynolds Coliseum and Hunt Library, or take a walking tour through Historic Oakwood
- Pick up a Citrix Bike from one of their many locations and go for a ride on the Greenway
- Take the train to Durham and visit Ponysaurus, Fullsteam and Hi-wire Breweries
- Explore downtown Cary—grab a brûléed greyhound at Sidebar or a beer at Bond Brothers while you wait for a table at Postmaster
- Need a health kick? Grab a smoothie or a bulletproof coffee at Raleigh Raw before taking a hike at Umstead Park
- Visit West Street—shop at Union Camp Collective, grab a hot dog at The Cardinal or a pastry at Layered Croissanterie
- Head to classic Raleigh restaurants like Brewery Bhavana, Stanbury, Poole’s, Royale or Sitti
- Meander the State Farmers Market and grab a bite at their restaurant